Tony McLoughlin

Get Ready To Rock

Album review: TONY McLOUGHLIN – The Contender

Tony McLoughlin - The Contender

He may look uncannily like Billy Connolly’s long lost brother, but opening with strains of Muhammad Ali getting ready to ‘rumble in the jungle’, Tony Mcloughlin’s fifth album The Contender is a glorious Telecaster-infused slab of Tom Petty/Springsteen inspired Americana.

Working once again with fellow Northern Ireland countryman Ben Reel, this time with McLoughlin co-producing, and with the same rhythm section of Ronnie O’Flynn (bass) and Michael Black (drums), The Contender features the six string virtuosity of long term collaborator German born, Nashville based German Thomm Jutz, German bluesman Timo Gross, and respected Monaghan musician Mick McCarney.

Pete Feenstra pronounced McLoughlin’s last outing as encapsulating ‘all that is good in the contemporary roots rock genre’.  And on the strength of The Contender, I’d have to concur – the songs while borrowing heavily on the likes of Petty, stand tall in their own right, and while McLoughlin’s Petty / Springsteen / Knopfler imbued vocals are equally derivative, there’s a shimmering vibrancy that’s reflective of much of Reel’s own recent work.

The Americana market is an overcrowded place at present, but there’s a gritty soul about that The Contender that makes McLoughlin one of its premier exponents.  Classy.  ****

Review by Pete Whalley


Pennyblack Music UK

Review of album "Tall Black Horse" 2007 "McLoughlin’s lived-in vocals, the superb sound of the guitars and melodies that will have you both smiling and tearful all add to the soulfulness of these songs and it is that, despite never hiding his influences, which makes McLoughlin stand out from the pack. It is called keeping it real and showing some emotion." -----Malcom Carter/Penny Black Music (UK)

Music News Nashville,Oct 4,2011

As a songwriter, the Americana-based act dazzles with each cut on the disc – whether it be the introspective “You Look To Me” or the 70s Pop / Folk sounds of the well-written “Mother’s Son.” He also shows his skills on guitar, delivering some very strong licks to “You Look For It All,” and turns in a Springsteen-ish type performance on the stirring “Let The River Run.” No, you’re not going to find McLoughlin’s music next to Taylor or Katy on the radio, but if you like music from an artist who has been around the block a few times and can sing about the mistakes they have made – as well as the lessons learned from them, give this a try. Chances are, you’ll be glad you did!

Quotes Summary

“As a songwriter, the Americana –based act dazzles with each cut on the disc!” ----Chuck Dauphin/ Music News Nashville (US) “The epic closing number, Treeline, is quite spectacular and possibly the album highlight on a collection full of highlights…an album well worth seeking out.” ----Alan Cackett/Maverick (UK) “Ride The Wind by Tony McLoughlin plays up the abrasive side of his personality as a smoke screen, to deflect attention from how much he exposes himself. His route is risky and open on a levelthat's shocking. He redefines country in ter ms of heart-on-the-sleeve expression.” ----John Shelton Ivany/ JSI Top 21, Capitola, CA (US) “Well-traveled and clued-up musically, songwriter McLoughlin delivers his fourth album, Ride The Wind, a highly charged and cohesive collection of songs.” ---- Allan Wilkinson/Northern Sky (UK) “Tony’s songs unfold like a series of tales, a delightful journey across the plains in the capable hands of an evocative songwriter.” ----Pete Feenstra/Get Ready to Rock (UK) “ McLoughlin takes you on an easy ride with tunes you simply can’t deny! This is truly a hell of an album!” www.billybop.be “the melodies flow, the playing is superb , and McLoughlin makes a strong case for being up with the best of our current vocalists…the perfect album..” ----Malcolm Carter/Pennyblack Music (UK)

Pennyblackmusic(UK)

Tony McLoughlin : Tall Black Horse Author: Malcolm Carter Published: 27/10/2011 It is that time of year again when the major record labels are either repackaging fairly recently released albums again with bonus tracks or video clips, releasing box sets of albums that we already own separately in the hope that we fall for the hype and purchase them just once more or finally releasing ‘lost’ albums that most reviewers have been fooled into believing really are classics when all that is truthfully outstanding is the packaging they now come in. So instead of being taken in by it all but still wanting to look back as we all do at the close of a year over not just the music that came out during the last twelve months but during the last few years, I’ve turned to an artist who impressed so many in 2010 with his ‘Ride the Wind’ album. Irish born Tony McLoughlin won a good many new fans with that fourth album and checking out his previous albums was only a matter of time. ‘Tall Black Horse’, which McLoughlin released way back in 2007, was his third album and, although ‘Ride The Wind’ has proved to be one of those albums that is never far from the CD player just now, ‘Tall Black Horse’ has the edge over its predecessor. Firstly not one of the twelve songs on ‘Tall Black Horse’ sounds half a decade old; this album could have been released this year. Secondly this is only one of a handful of albums that have reached these ears in the last twelve months that sounds like some thought has been given to the running order of the songs. While it has to be admitted that, as every cut here is of such a high standard, it wasn’t so important as to which song actually started the album, the opening ‘How Can I Get to You?’ is the perfect example of just what Tony McLoughlin is all about. The opening shot of drums gives way to one of McLoughlin’s catchy guitar lines. It is one of those moments when you just know that good things are about to happen and once those strong, solid and warm vocals come in that smile that crossed your face when you heard that guitar for the first time just grows and grows. Sure, all those influences which McLoughlin doesn’t even try to disguise shine through. You will hear Tom Petty, Bruce Springsteen and even Mark Knopfler all in just that opening track but McLoughlin gets away with it because his songs are so well-crafted, so real. Solid is the word that keeps coming to mind when listening to ‘Tall Black Horse’. McLoughlin’s lived-in vocals, the superb sound of the guitars and melodies that will have you both smiling and tearful all add to the soulfulness of these songs and it is that, despite never hiding his influences, which makes McLoughlin stand out from the pack. It is called keeping it real and showing some emotion. ‘Look Around’ which follows that stunning opening track is cut from a very similar cloth,. There is a searing guitar solo (apart from McLoughlin’s own superb guitar work the much admired Thomm Jutz, well known for his work with Joe Gibbs, Nanci Griffith and Mary Gauthier, does his usual wonderful job with an array of different instruments as well as producing the album) and it features one of McLoughlin’s trademark sing-along choruses. It’s also during this song that you check out who the musicians are on ‘Tall Black Horse’. How many times can you honestly say that you’ve been mightily impressed by the drummer as early as the second song on an album? Seeing the name of Pat McInerney, who has also worked with Gibbs, Griffith and many others, credited as the drummer clears that one up then. But not even those opening two songs prepare you for what follows; ‘Hard Heart’. Lyrically a simple love song, it’s blessed with a breathtaking melody, sympathetic playing from all concerned, the most emotional vocal performance yet from McLoughlin and a touch of genius from whoever came up with the idea of getting Toni Catlin to add her sweet, touching vocals to a song that never fails to move you. ‘Hard Heart’ has been tucked away on an album that is five years old and it is one of the best songs I’ve heard all this year. McLoughlin is one of those artists who can straddle various genres while never quite settling in any particular one, which is yet another reason while his music always sounds so fresh and inviting. Mixing folk, rock, and blues is nothing new but McLoughlin, by injecting soul into each and every song gets through where others fail. He is not afraid to experiment either; the addition of fiddle and banjo to ‘Like a Saint’ proves that young, contemporary folk bands have learnt a thing or two from McLoughlin. McLoughlin has been around long enough to know that what he does isn’t going to change the world, but it is certainly a much better place when his music plays. If ‘Tall Black Horse’ had been released in 2011 and not 2007 it would, without a doubt, be in my top five albums of this year. It certainly beats any of those repacked, re-promoted sets that we’re currently getting thrust upon us.

Hot Press Magazine

The Irish performer and songwriter Tony McLoughlin has created a catalogue of literate songs that shine a spotlight in the dark corners of our real lives,while at the same time blending elements of country,folk,americana,and rock into his overall sound.His lived-in voice and captivating melodies can take you places you've never been before.

www.plamedia.com

Tony McLoughlin Quote Sheet “…the songs seem to be life stories and though more of a rootsy-rock sound than country, they are at times quite emotional, especially Mother’s Son, opening rocker You Look To Me and I Like The Way. The epic closing number, Treeline, is quite spectacular and possibly the album highlight on a collection full of highlights…an album well worth seeking out.” - Alan Cackett, Maverick, UK “Tony’s songs unfold like a series of tales that in due course reveal more about the writer bit by bit…he may be rooted in folk and his guitar lines may be derived from rock, but Ride the Wind is a delightful journey across the plains in the capable hands of an evocative songwriter.” - Pete Feenstra, Get Ready to Rock, UK “The opening track, You Look To Me, where McLoughlin wears his Petty influences proudly on his sleeve, is a solid rocker…there is not a single song on this ten-track album that makes you hit the skip button. In fact you’re more likely to want to play the whole album through again as soon as it is finished.” - Malcolm Carter, Penny Black Music, UK “There is clearly a confidence in the songwriting and playing…the songs rock with just a little extra effort…the music and the passion are more than enough to keep this one on the short list of albums I want to replay often.” - David Hintz, FolkWorld, Issue 43, Germany “Well-traveled and clued-up musically, songwriter McLoughlin delivers his fourth album, Ride The Wind, a highly charged and cohesive collection of songs…each with a tight and ‘together’ arrangement.” - Allan Wilkinson, Northern Sky, UK There is something within artists like Tony McLoughlin that strikes a chord…despite the lack of fame and fortune knocking on their door, they remained faithful to their mistress, music. Ride The Wind is a well crafted album full of strong songs from a man with a lot of experience of life to share. It contains elements of poetry blended with a bluesy core. It's an album of experience and expression.” - www.fatea-records.co.uk “The songs are memorable, the more so with repeated play…a healthy roots stew that should give satisfaction to those who like their music with some age and dirt on it…songs with a kick and some substance.” - www.lonesomehighway.com

summary of reviews for "RIDE THE WIND"

REVIEWS````````````````````````           Tony McLoughlin (www.tonymcloughlin.com) released his 4th album on 23rd Aug 2010 in Europe.The album “RIDE THE WIND” is receiving very significant attention and airplay and may be the ‘watershed’ which finally exposes McLoughlin as the high caliber Roots/Rock Songwriter and Artist that he is.His cult following of believers have known this for years!

Here are some of the reviews:



http://www.pennyblackmusic.co.uk/MagSitePages/Review.aspx?id=7568

 


Tony McLoughlin: Ride the Wind

Reviewed By: Malcolm Carter
Label: Tony McLoughlin
Format: CD

As the years pass and we find the search for new music to inspire and touch us gets increasingly more difficult there’s a tendency to fall back on the music of our youth, music we understood and felt comfortable with but which still moves us. As obviously as time moves on the feeling that we’ve heard it all before gets stronger and stronger.

Then an artist like Tony McLoughlin comes along who is far from breaking any new ground but in taking various elements from rock, country, folk and even blues has produced an album that although could have been made any time in the last 40 years sounds refreshingly contemporary. There is not a single song on this ten-track album that makes you hit the skip button. In fact you’re more likely to want to play the whole album through again as soon as it is finished.

‘Ride the Wind’ is McLoughlin’s fourth album yet it’s the first one he has recorded in his native land of Ireland. Not being familiar with his previous work I’m not in a position to comment if the albums he cut in Nashville or Nuremberg were influenced by their surroundings but ‘Ride the Wind’ has a warm, homely sound about it which may well have been brought on by McLoughlin recording the songs on familiar ground.

McLoughlin has been compared to Tom Petty in the past and although McLoughlin’s lived-in vocal style does owe some little debt to some of Petty’s early work the sound of the guitars throughout ‘Ride the Wind’ shows that maybe Petty is more than a slight influence on McLoughlin. There’s a distinct lack of rough edges even when McLoughlin rocks out on songs like ‘Let the River Run’ ; the production by Ben Reel who also supplies guitar and vocals throughout the album is smooth but doesn’t suffocate the songs and frames this set of McLoughlin originals perfectly. There are some really smart moments on the album; Julianne Reel adds beautiful backing vocals to a number of songs but the way her vocals are recorded on the last song, ‘Treeline’, brings out the sensitivity in not just that particular song but in McLoughlin’s vocals too. Again a warm, friendly sound envelopes the song especially the sound of the organ and harmonica but Julianne’s vocals push the song from sounding good into something special. It’s a perfect way to close the album and simply leaves you longing for more. It’s certainly the most affecting song on ‘Ride the Wind’.

But that doesn’t mean that McLoughlin closed the album with the strongest song on the album. The opening track, ‘You Look To Me’, where McLoughlin wears his Petty influences proudly on his sleeve, is a solid rocker, the kind that is instantly familiar but still sounding fresh every time you hear it. It’s the kind of song that will have you mouthing the words as McLoughlin performs it in concert; it’s a feel-good song that you just can’t sit still to.

With the second song, ‘Ride the Wind’, you start to think that McLoughlin isn’t going to put a foot wrong throughout the forty-three minutes that it takes to listen to this album and he doesn’t. Tommy Womack co-wrote that title song with McLoughlin so no more needs to be said about what a classic track it is. The fact that McLoughlin gets the opportunity to write with other artists as acclaimed as Tommy Womack goes to show that he is very much a musicians' musician. ‘Ride the Wind’ has such a catchy melody, McLoughlin’s yearning vocals can’t fail to impress and the band and backing vocalists really shine on this song.

So it goes on, the melodies flow, the playing is superb and McLoughlin makes a strong case here for being up there with the best of our current vocalists. As I wrote earlier, McLoughlin isn’t doing anything new but what he does gets your attention and just won’t let you go. Maybe the best thing about this music that McLoughlin makes is that you just can’t pigeonhole it; it’s simply great music, superbly sung, played and produced and will appeal to a wide audience.

I have to go as far as to say that this is a perfect album. It’s the perfect length, it leaves you wanting more and every time you listen to it there’s a new favourite Tony McLoughlin song. To say I’m impressed would be an understatement.

 

G Promo PR
2 Streatley Mews
Corve Street
Ludlow
Shropshire
SY8 2PN
UK

 

UK/European Press & Radio

 

Contact: Geraint Jones / Deb Jones

 

Phone: +44 (0) 1584 873211
Mobile: + 44 (0) 7855 724798
Email:
GPromo@btinternet.com

 
 

http://www.fatea-records.co.uk/magazine/releases.html

                

Tony McLoughlin

Album:Ride The Wind

Label:Self Released

Website: http://www.tonymcloughlin.com/

There is something within artists like Tony McLoughlin that strike a chord. Had the threads of fate twisted in a different way they may well have been household names or at least very familiar, it certainly wasn't talent that held him back. Despite the lack of fame and fortune knocking on their door, they remained faithful to their mistress, music. "Ride The Wind" is a well crafted album full of strong songs from a man with a lot of experience of life to share. It contains elements of poetry blended with a bluesy core. It's an album of experience and expression.

 

 

http://www.getreadytorock.com/reviews2010/tony_mcloughlin.htm
>
> TONY McLOUGHLIN Ride The Wind Tony McLoughlin Music (2010)
>
>
> Tony McLoughlin is a Northern Irish singer-songwriter with an American
> sound and a batch of songs that readily explain his song writing links
> with Nashville. But this is not the Nashville of the Grand Ole Opry but a
> centre of song writing excellence that given a far break should offer Tony
> rich reward.
>
> Given that 'Ride The Wind' was recorded in Ireland with home grown
> musicians it should be viewed as that rare achievement, a top notch slice
> of Americana that manages to avoid the pitfalls of clichéd lyrics, a
> wooden production and contrived songs.
>
> 'Ride The Wind' represents all that is good in the contemporary roots rock
> genre. The songs are well crafted and backed by an intuitive production
> (courtesy of Ben Reel who doubles on acoustic guitars) and comes with the
> kind of continuity and flow that is rare in an independent release.
>
> And while 'Ride The Wind' doesn't quite manage to carry the majesty of the
> opening 'You Look To Me' over all 10 tracks, there's enough moments of
> real inspiration to be constantly drawn back into Tony's understated but
> compelling style.
>
> The opening brace songs featuring the Tom Petty influenced 'You Look To
> Me' and the Bob Seger influenced title track (co-written with Tommy
> Womack) are both moulded by muscular chiming riffs that drive them on to
> their respective conclusions.
>
> The Davis Raines co-penned 'You Look For It All' has a dirgy Neil Young
> style chiming guitar line reprised on the later 'Deep Under Your Spell'
> while another McLoughlin/Raines effort 'Not Too Far From Memphis' enjoys a
> rootsy swamp blues feel and a hypnotic groove that lyrically nails its
> mast to its geographic title.
>
> All the songs are beautifully judged and full of steely riffs, lovely
> harmony singing and undulating tempos that evoke a sultry meandering
> journey. And while McLoughlin barely hides his thinly veiled influences he
> makes the most of them turning them into something all of his own making.
>
> Look no further than the mesmerising 'Mothers Son' with its hypnotic
> guitar line, crisp drum pattern, cool vibes and Knopfler style vocals.
> Tony's world weary enunciation brings a sense of real emotion to the
> lyrics on a song that lets the melody breathe. Nothing is forced and as
> the notes float into the ether as you are almost invited to ponder the
> meaning of the words. The drop-down ending is the perfect finish to a song
> that makes the most of a very delicate dynamic.
>
> In some respects Tony is stuck in a beautiful musical time warp where
> songs and melodic /Celtic divide and settles for an Otis Taylor like drone,
> full of lovely harmony singing and a delightful Patsy Toman mandolin
> driven melody. Like many of Tony's songs repeated listening reveal
> lingering melodies and resonant sonic qualities that underpin his deeply
> felt expressive singing.
>
> Tony's songs unfold like a series of tales that in due course reveal more
> about the writer bit by bit. Some of the choruses embody an anthemic
> quality while the edgy guitar lines lead the songs up down and whichever
> way suits the lyrics. But he's never to far away from an expansive
> Americana base.
>
> The feelings and emotions may be born in Northern Ireland but the imagery
> and vistas belong to another continent. Listen to 'I Like The Way' for
> example, the song may carry another signature Neil Young guitar line, but
> it finds its heart and soul comes from Tony's lyrics. The clever phrasing
> and pregnant pause just before the concluding part of the chorus give the
> song its punch.
>
> He finishes with 'Treeline' a meditative spiritual ballad not too far
> removed from Dylan. But like much of this album the influences swell dip
> and meander in and out some beautifully crafted songs that come stamped
> with Tony's own sense of symmetry.
>
> He may be rooted in folk and his guitar lines may be derived from rock,
> but 'Ride The Wind' is a delightful journey across the plains in the
> capable hands of evocative songwriter. 'Ride The Wind' may be a slow
> burner but it's a CD you should buy and revisit many times.
>
> *****
>
> Review by Pete Feenstra

 

 

http://www.lonesomehighway.com/music-reviews/?currentPage=5

Tony McLoughlin 'Ride The Wind' Self-Released

Wednesday, September 8, 2010 at 02:23PM

This new album finds the Irish songwriter in the capable production hands of fellow artist Ben Reel. Having made previous albums in the US this album was recorded in Monaghan. The end result is a slice of powerful roots rock. Songs with a kick and some substance. The title song was co-written by McLoughlin with Tommy Womack, while other songs were written with Reel and the closing Treeline is a co-write with Sergio Webb. All are topped with a hearty vocal delivery by McLoughlin over a solid backing that includes Ben Reel on acoustic and electric guitars with locals Ronnie O'Flynn on bass, Michael Black on drums, John McCullogh on keyboards. McLoughlin also shares the guitar playing duties. This is grown up robust music that draws from several music forms to create an album that has balls. The songs are memorable, the more so with repeated play. Tony McLoughlin has been around for some time making albums that his fans love but have never really made waves outside of that, which is a pity as he is an artist with quite a bit to offer. He may not be as known as Henry McCullough and heaven knows Henry flies under the radar too but this album will likely appeal to those who like Henry's similar blend of blues, r 'n' b and country. A healthy roots stew that should give.satisfaction to those who like their music with some age and dirt on it.

 



http://www.allanwilkinson.co.uk/node/1089 

Album Review: Tony McLoughlin - Ride the Wind (Self Release) 


By Allan Wilkinson - Posted on 13 August 2010

 

Well travelled and clued-up musically, songwriter Tony McLoughlin delivers his fourth album Ride the Wind, the first to be recorded on home turf and with a handful of fellow countrymen. Gathering together a fine supporting cast of Irish musicians such as Ben Reel on guitars, Ronnie O'Flynn on bass and percussion, Michael Black on drums and John McCullogh on keyboards, the kindred spirit approach seemed to pay off in the studio, the studio in question being Attick Studios in Monaghan. With Ben Reel at the helm, a highly charged and cohesive collection of songs resulted, each with a tight and 'together' arrangement.

Originally from Newry, County Down, McLoughlin has travelled back and forth between Ireland and Nashville, developing a keen ear for the harder edge of country music with a distinctly bluesy feel. Whilst songs such as Not Too Far From Memphis and Deep Under Your Spell demonstrate this inherent understanding of the blues, Treeline and Mothers Son maintain a contrasting country/pop feel.

When not brandishing his trusty telecaster, McLoughlin donates much of his time on conservation endeavours, taking to the high seas in search of dolphins, whales and sea turtles, for all intents and purposes, riding the wind. 

Allan Wilkinson

Northern Sky

 

 

 

 

http://www.billybop.be/admin/CDdetail.asp?ID=9433

 

Ride the Wind : Tony McLoughlin
Album Kindly Submitted by G-Promotions

 

Style : Americana
Rate (1-5) :

This is already the fourth album for this native Irishman who came to play the blues when he was a Birmingham student! After playing in a couple of bands and gigging the pubs with blues, country, bluegrass and even some folk acts Tony found his home in a mix of all these sounds! These days this kind of music gets the moniker Americana but it is worth to check it out and listen for your self cause there is much more to discover into it then what you should expect.

Leading track “You look to me” sounds exactly like Neil Young and also “You look for it all” is something that reminds you of Neil Young with Crazy Horse. Especially the sound of the guitar seems to be “stolen” from to “Cortez The Killer”. The overall sound of this album is blues rock, but once in a while you’ll find some other influences coming up as well. Take for instance “Mothers Son”! This is one of those tunes that is heavily influenced by the country genre. With “Deep under Your Spell” he takes you even on a sidestep into some alt. Blues variation. The sound of an early Tom Petty is seldom far away and on “I Like The way” this easy audible. The sound of Crazy Horse returns once more in “Let The River Run” a Texas based tune.

Amongst this collection of great tunes “Soul Brother, Soul Sister” is one that stands out for its originality. But in general all tunes are equally good on this album that is due to release on august 23. It is certainly not a big secret that “Ride Wind” will rattle the cage and upon listing to it you will easily understand why this is! For about 40 minutes long Mr. McLoughlin takes you on a easy ride with tunes you simply can’t deny! This is truly a hell of an album! This august, Tony McLoughlin is on tour in Germany and some parts of Europe, if he stops by in Belgium I’ll hope to catch him for sure.

Mr. Blue Boogie.


more info on :
http://www.tonymcloughlin.com/

 

 

G Promo PR



FolkWorld Issue 43 11/2010

Tony McLoughlin "Ride the Wind"
Label: Own label; 2010

Many times do I find myself putting on yet another blues-rock offering almost dreading that it will sound like a hundred other similar records. It only took a few bars into the first song, where this notion was dispelled. There is clearly a confidence in the song writing and playing present here. The songs rock with just a little extra effort. The vocals have assurance of a veteran who is in his prime. As the songs keep coming, they show great variety between the faster rockier ones and slow bluesy outings. McLoughlin is an Irishman who has travelled and recorded in America, so he does carry a good balance of musical experiences. If there is a fault anywhere, it may be in the lyrics, which are fairly ordinary. But the music and the passion are more than enough to keep this one on the short list of albums I want to replay often.
www.tonymcloughlin.com
David Hintz

 

G Promo PR
2 Streatley Mews
Corve Street
Ludlow
Shropshire
SY8 2PN
UK

 

UK/European Press & Radio



FolkWorld Issue 43 11/2010

Tony McLoughlin "Ride the Wind"
Label: Own label; 2010

Many times do I find myself putting on yet another blues-rock offering almost dreading that it will sound like a hundred other similar records. It only took a few bars into the first song, where this notion was dispelled. There is clearly a confidence in the song writing and playing present here. The songs rock with just a little extra effort. The vocals have assurance of a veteran who is in his prime. As the songs keep coming, they show great variety between the faster rockier ones and slow bluesy outings. McLoughlin is an Irishman who has travelled and recorded in America, so he does carry a good balance of musical experiences. If there is a fault anywhere, it may be in the lyrics, which are fairly ordinary. But the music and the passion are more than enough to keep this one on the short list of albums I want to replay often.
www.tonymcloughlin.com
David Hintz

 

G Promo PR
2 Streatley Mews
Corve Street
Ludlow
Shropshire
SY8 2PN
UK

 

UK/European Press & Radio

vv

SEPT 2010 REVIEWS````````````````````````           Tony McLoughlin (www.tonymcloughlin.com) released his 4th album on 23rd Aug 2010.The album “RIDE THE WIND” is receiving very significant attention and airplay and may be the ‘watershed’ which finally exposes McLoughlin as the high caliber Roots/Rock Songwriter and Artist that he is.His cult following of believers have known this for years!

Here are some of the reviews:



http://www.pennyblackmusic.co.uk/MagSitePages/Review.aspx?id=7568

 


Tony McLoughlin: Ride the Wind

Reviewed By: Malcolm Carter
Label: Tony McLoughlin
Format: CD

As the years pass and we find the search for new music to inspire and touch us gets increasingly more difficult there’s a tendency to fall back on the music of our youth, music we understood and felt comfortable with but which still moves us. As obviously as time moves on the feeling that we’ve heard it all before gets stronger and stronger.

Then an artist like Tony McLoughlin comes along who is far from breaking any new ground but in taking various elements from rock, country, folk and even blues has produced an album that although could have been made any time in the last 40 years sounds refreshingly contemporary. There is not a single song on this ten-track album that makes you hit the skip button. In fact you’re more likely to want to play the whole album through again as soon as it is finished.

‘Ride the Wind’ is McLoughlin’s fourth album yet it’s the first one he has recorded in his native land of Ireland. Not being familiar with his previous work I’m not in a position to comment if the albums he cut in Nashville or Nuremberg were influenced by their surroundings but ‘Ride the Wind’ has a warm, homely sound about it which may well have been brought on by McLoughlin recording the songs on familiar ground.

McLoughlin has been compared to Tom Petty in the past and although McLoughlin’s lived-in vocal style does owe some little debt to some of Petty’s early work the sound of the guitars throughout ‘Ride the Wind’ shows that maybe Petty is more than a slight influence on McLoughlin. There’s a distinct lack of rough edges even when McLoughlin rocks out on songs like ‘Let the River Run’ ; the production by Ben Reel who also supplies guitar and vocals throughout the album is smooth but doesn’t suffocate the songs and frames this set of McLoughlin originals perfectly. There are some really smart moments on the album; Julianne Reel adds beautiful backing vocals to a number of songs but the way her vocals are recorded on the last song, ‘Treeline’, brings out the sensitivity in not just that particular song but in McLoughlin’s vocals too. Again a warm, friendly sound envelopes the song especially the sound of the organ and harmonica but Julianne’s vocals push the song from sounding good into something special. It’s a perfect way to close the album and simply leaves you longing for more. It’s certainly the most affecting song on ‘Ride the Wind’.

But that doesn’t mean that McLoughlin closed the album with the strongest song on the album. The opening track, ‘You Look To Me’, where McLoughlin wears his Petty influences proudly on his sleeve, is a solid rocker, the kind that is instantly familiar but still sounding fresh every time you hear it. It’s the kind of song that will have you mouthing the words as McLoughlin performs it in concert; it’s a feel-good song that you just can’t sit still to.

With the second song, ‘Ride the Wind’, you start to think that McLoughlin isn’t going to put a foot wrong throughout the forty-three minutes that it takes to listen to this album and he doesn’t. Tommy Womack co-wrote that title song with McLoughlin so no more needs to be said about what a classic track it is. The fact that McLoughlin gets the opportunity to write with other artists as acclaimed as Tommy Womack goes to show that he is very much a musicians' musician. ‘Ride the Wind’ has such a catchy melody, McLoughlin’s yearning vocals can’t fail to impress and the band and backing vocalists really shine on this song.

So it goes on, the melodies flow, the playing is superb and McLoughlin makes a strong case here for being up there with the best of our current vocalists. As I wrote earlier, McLoughlin isn’t doing anything new but what he does gets your attention and just won’t let you go. Maybe the best thing about this music that McLoughlin makes is that you just can’t pigeonhole it; it’s simply great music, superbly sung, played and produced and will appeal to a wide audience.

I have to go as far as to say that this is a perfect album. It’s the perfect length, it leaves you wanting more and every time you listen to it there’s a new favourite Tony McLoughlin song. To say I’m impressed would be an understatement.

 

G Promo PR
2 Streatley Mews
Corve Street
Ludlow
Shropshire
SY8 2PN
UK

 

UK/European Press & Radio

 

Contact: Geraint Jones / Deb Jones

 

Phone: +44 (0) 1584 873211
Mobile: + 44 (0) 7855 724798
Email:
GPromo@btinternet.com

 
 

http://www.fatea-records.co.uk/magazine/releases.html

                

Tony McLoughlin

Album:Ride The Wind

Label:Self Released

Website: http://www.tonymcloughlin.com/

There is something within artists like Tony McLoughlin that strike a chord. Had the threads of fate twisted in a different way they may well have been household names or at least very familiar, it certainly wasn't talent that held him back. Despite the lack of fame and fortune knocking on their door, they remained faithful to their mistress, music. "Ride The Wind" is a well crafted album full of strong songs from a man with a lot of experience of life to share. It contains elements of poetry blended with a bluesy core. It's an album of experience and expression.

 

 

http://www.getreadytorock.com/reviews2010/tony_mcloughlin.htm
>
> TONY McLOUGHLIN Ride The Wind Tony McLoughlin Music (2010)
>
>
> Tony McLoughlin is a Northern Irish singer-songwriter with an American
> sound and a batch of songs that readily explain his song writing links
> with Nashville. But this is not the Nashville of the Grand Ole Opry but a
> centre of song writing excellence that given a far break should offer Tony
> rich reward.
>
> Given that 'Ride The Wind' was recorded in Ireland with home grown
> musicians it should be viewed as that rare achievement, a top notch slice
> of Americana that manages to avoid the pitfalls of clichéd lyrics, a
> wooden production and contrived songs.
>
> 'Ride The Wind' represents all that is good in the contemporary roots rock
> genre. The songs are well crafted and backed by an intuitive production
> (courtesy of Ben Reel who doubles on acoustic guitars) and comes with the
> kind of continuity and flow that is rare in an independent release.
>
> And while 'Ride The Wind' doesn't quite manage to carry the majesty of the
> opening 'You Look To Me' over all 10 tracks, there's enough moments of
> real inspiration to be constantly drawn back into Tony's understated but
> compelling style.
>
> The opening brace songs featuring the Tom Petty influenced 'You Look To
> Me' and the Bob Seger influenced title track (co-written with Tommy
> Womack) are both moulded by muscular chiming riffs that drive them on to
> their respective conclusions.
>
> The Davis Raines co-penned 'You Look For It All' has a dirgy Neil Young
> style chiming guitar line reprised on the later 'Deep Under Your Spell'
> while another McLoughlin/Raines effort 'Not Too Far From Memphis' enjoys a
> rootsy swamp blues feel and a hypnotic groove that lyrically nails its
> mast to its geographic title.
>
> All the songs are beautifully judged and full of steely riffs, lovely
> harmony singing and undulating tempos that evoke a sultry meandering
> journey. And while McLoughlin barely hides his thinly veiled influences he
> makes the most of them turning them into something all of his own making.
>
> Look no further than the mesmerising 'Mothers Son' with its hypnotic
> guitar line, crisp drum pattern, cool vibes and Knopfler style vocals.
> Tony's world weary enunciation brings a sense of real emotion to the
> lyrics on a song that lets the melody breathe. Nothing is forced and as
> the notes float into the ether as you are almost invited to ponder the
> meaning of the words. The drop-down ending is the perfect finish to a song
> that makes the most of a very delicate dynamic.
>
> In some respects Tony is stuck in a beautiful musical time warp where
> songs and melodic /Celtic divide and settles for an Otis Taylor like drone,
> full of lovely harmony singing and a delightful Patsy Toman mandolin
> driven melody. Like many of Tony's songs repeated listening reveal
> lingering melodies and resonant sonic qualities that underpin his deeply
> felt expressive singing.
>
> Tony's songs unfold like a series of tales that in due course reveal more
> about the writer bit by bit. Some of the choruses embody an anthemic
> quality while the edgy guitar lines lead the songs up down and whichever
> way suits the lyrics. But he's never to far away from an expansive
> Americana base.
>
> The feelings and emotions may be born in Northern Ireland but the imagery
> and vistas belong to another continent. Listen to 'I Like The Way' for
> example, the song may carry another signature Neil Young guitar line, but
> it finds its heart and soul comes from Tony's lyrics. The clever phrasing
> and pregnant pause just before the concluding part of the chorus give the
> song its punch.
>
> He finishes with 'Treeline' a meditative spiritual ballad not too far
> removed from Dylan. But like much of this album the influences swell dip
> and meander in and out some beautifully crafted songs that come stamped
> with Tony's own sense of symmetry.
>
> He may be rooted in folk and his guitar lines may be derived from rock,
> but 'Ride The Wind' is a delightful journey across the plains in the
> capable hands of evocative songwriter. 'Ride The Wind' may be a slow
> burner but it's a CD you should buy and revisit many times.
>
> *****
>
> Review by Pete Feenstra

 

 

http://www.lonesomehighway.com/music-reviews/?currentPage=5

Tony McLoughlin 'Ride The Wind' Self-Released

Wednesday, September 8, 2010 at 02:23PM

This new album finds the Irish songwriter in the capable production hands of fellow artist Ben Reel. Having made previous albums in the US this album was recorded in Monaghan. The end result is a slice of powerful roots rock. Songs with a kick and some substance. The title song was co-written by McLoughlin with Tommy Womack, while other songs were written with Reel and the closing Treeline is a co-write with Sergio Webb. All are topped with a hearty vocal delivery by McLoughlin over a solid backing that includes Ben Reel on acoustic and electric guitars with locals Ronnie O'Flynn on bass, Michael Black on drums, John McCullogh on keyboards. McLoughlin also shares the guitar playing duties. This is grown up robust music that draws from several music forms to create an album that has balls. The songs are memorable, the more so with repeated play. Tony McLoughlin has been around for some time making albums that his fans love but have never really made waves outside of that, which is a pity as he is an artist with quite a bit to offer. He may not be as known as Henry McCullough and heaven knows Henry flies under the radar too but this album will likely appeal to those who like Henry's similar blend of blues, r 'n' b and country. A healthy roots stew that should give.satisfaction to those who like their music with some age and dirt on it.

 



http://www.allanwilkinson.co.uk/node/1089 

Album Review: Tony McLoughlin - Ride the Wind (Self Release) 


By Allan Wilkinson - Posted on 13 August 2010

 

Well travelled and clued-up musically, songwriter Tony McLoughlin delivers his fourth album Ride the Wind, the first to be recorded on home turf and with a handful of fellow countrymen. Gathering together a fine supporting cast of Irish musicians such as Ben Reel on guitars, Ronnie O'Flynn on bass and percussion, Michael Black on drums and John McCullogh on keyboards, the kindred spirit approach seemed to pay off in the studio, the studio in question being Attick Studios in Monaghan. With Ben Reel at the helm, a highly charged and cohesive collection of songs resulted, each with a tight and 'together' arrangement.

Originally from Newry, County Down, McLoughlin has travelled back and forth between Ireland and Nashville, developing a keen ear for the harder edge of country music with a distinctly bluesy feel. Whilst songs such as Not Too Far From Memphis and Deep Under Your Spell demonstrate this inherent understanding of the blues, Treeline and Mothers Son maintain a contrasting country/pop feel.

When not brandishing his trusty telecaster, McLoughlin donates much of his time on conservation endeavours, taking to the high seas in search of dolphins, whales and sea turtles, for all intents and purposes, riding the wind. 

Allan Wilkinson

Northern Sky

 

 

 

 

http://www.billybop.be/admin/CDdetail.asp?ID=9433

 

Ride the Wind : Tony McLoughlin
Album Kindly Submitted by G-Promotions

 

Style : Americana
Rate (1-5) :

This is already the fourth album for this native Irishman who came to play the blues when he was a Birmingham student! After playing in a couple of bands and gigging the pubs with blues, country, bluegrass and even some folk acts Tony found his home in a mix of all these sounds! These days this kind of music gets the moniker Americana but it is worth to check it out and listen for your self cause there is much more to discover into it then what you should expect.

Leading track “You look to me” sounds exactly like Neil Young and also “You look for it all” is something that reminds you of Neil Young with Crazy Horse. Especially the sound of the guitar seems to be “stolen” from to “Cortez The Killer”. The overall sound of this album is blues rock, but once in a while you’ll find some other influences coming up as well. Take for instance “Mothers Son”! This is one of those tunes that is heavily influenced by the country genre. With “Deep under Your Spell” he takes you even on a sidestep into some alt. Blues variation. The sound of an early Tom Petty is seldom far away and on “I Like The way” this easy audible. The sound of Crazy Horse returns once more in “Let The River Run” a Texas based tune.

Amongst this collection of great tunes “Soul Brother, Soul Sister” is one that stands out for its originality. But in general all tunes are equally good on this album that is due to release on august 23. It is certainly not a big secret that “Ride Wind” will rattle the cage and upon listing to it you will easily understand why this is! For about 40 minutes long Mr. McLoughlin takes you on a easy ride with tunes you simply can’t deny! This is truly a hell of an album! This august, Tony McLoughlin is on tour in Germany and some parts of Europe, if he stops by in Belgium I’ll hope to catch him for sure.

Mr. Blue Boogie.


more info on :
http://www.tonymcloughlin.com/

 

 

G Promo PR



FolkWorld Issue 43 11/2010

Tony McLoughlin "Ride the Wind"
Label: Own label; 2010

Many times do I find myself putting on yet another blues-rock offering almost dreading that it will sound like a hundred other similar records. It only took a few bars into the first song, where this notion was dispelled. There is clearly a confidence in the song writing and playing present here. The songs rock with just a little extra effort. The vocals have assurance of a veteran who is in his prime. As the songs keep coming, they show great variety between the faster rockier ones and slow bluesy outings. McLoughlin is an Irishman who has travelled and recorded in America, so he does carry a good balance of musical experiences. If there is a fault anywhere, it may be in the lyrics, which are fairly ordinary. But the music and the passion are more than enough to keep this one on the short list of albums I want to replay often.
www.tonymcloughlin.com
David Hintz

 

G Promo PR
2 Streatley Mews
Corve Street
Ludlow
Shropshire
SY8 2PN
UK

 

UK/European Press & Radio



FolkWorld Issue 43 11/2010

Tony McLoughlin "Ride the Wind"
Label: Own label; 2010

Many times do I find myself putting on yet another blues-rock offering almost dreading that it will sound like a hundred other similar records. It only took a few bars into the first song, where this notion was dispelled. There is clearly a confidence in the song writing and playing present here. The songs rock with just a little extra effort. The vocals have assurance of a veteran who is in his prime. As the songs keep coming, they show great variety between the faster rockier ones and slow bluesy outings. McLoughlin is an Irishman who has travelled and recorded in America, so he does carry a good balance of musical experiences. If there is a fault anywhere, it may be in the lyrics, which are fairly ordinary. But the music and the passion are more than enough to keep this one on the short list of albums I want to replay often.
www.tonymcloughlin.com
David Hintz

 

G Promo PR
2 Streatley Mews
Corve Street
Ludlow
Shropshire
SY8 2PN
UK

 

UK/European Press & Radio

vv

Glitterhouse Records

2002 recorded. The follow up to Cine Rama, by Richard Dobson collaborator Thomm Jutz recorded and produced, this album takes a rockier and more powerful direction. Self produced with a new backing band “ Glory Bound “ treats his songs with a blues/soul feel, the exception being the one cover version on the album “ Jackson “ from Hazlewood, which rocks out with a powerful roots/country feel, where his rough and smokey vocals remind one of Vince Bell, then further on in the album the vocal is similar to the New Music style of Terry Lee Hale. McLoughlin also has a vocal warmth which gives the ballads and mid tempo numbers a superb treatment.

Ballymoney Times

Anyone interested in the art of writing, and singing their own songs,would have been well advised not to miss Tony, for he has a wonderful way with words, he writes great songs, has a superb timbre to his voice and delivers his songs with a warmth and humanity that cries out to be listened to and understood. His full sounding Martin guitars too, are the perfect foil for his voice, complimenting it beautifully, and his playing is both delicate and decisive. His easy manner, and the delightful rapport he had with his audience was an education for anyone with the eyes, ears and wit to appreciate it. All in all, it was a display of a Master Craftsman in action.

Music-news.com

http://music-news.com/showreview.asp?H=Tony-McLoughlin&nReviewID=9667

Tony McLoughlin 

The Contender

added: 29 Sep 2013 // release date: 21 Oct 2013 // label: Wild Eye Records 
reviewer: David Spencer

Tony McLoughlin - The Contender -

The Contender kicks off with hands raised and fists pumping in a Neil Young rage of the box office title track - with soaring guitars and pounding drums. From this you would not have guessed that McLoughlin was born in Ireland, but his musical heart is straight from America's south, as I Get The Message and You On My Mind Again prove as they follow in the same style as The Contender, with Crazy Horse style guitar dominating.

For his follow up to 2010's Ride The Wind, McLoughlin has brought in German-born, now Nashville-based Thomm Jutz, German bluesman Timo Gross and respected Monaghan musician Mick McCarney - and their guitars help lift this album to new heights for McLoughlin. 

His voice is husky and crisp - and matches the raw heartland feel and drifts from Tom Petty (I Found A Star) to Mark Knopfler (on the divine and bluesy Moonshadows). Delicate moments interrupt those louder moments - with In The Time and Two Riders also hinting at influences like Tony Joe White. The album is more fun when the foot is full down on the throttle as Harlan Road proves but the quality never dips.

Also worth a mention are the backing vocals - particularly from Julieanne Reel, Irene Kelley and Justyna Kelley.

 

 

4 stars

 

 
 
G Promo PR
2 Streatley Mews
Corve Street
Ludlow
Shropshire
SY8 2PN
UK

UK/European Press & Radio 

Contact: Geraint Jones / Deb Jones

Phone: +44 (0) 1584 873211 ∙ Mobile: + 44 (0) 7855 724798
Email:GPromo@btinternet.com∙ Web:www.gpromopr.com